Industrial fabrication plays a crucial role in the industrial sector by providing much needed equipment, materials, parts, and systems. However, for these items to be of any use at the industrial facility that needs them, they must be of a consistent high quality. That makes it extremely important that industrial fabrication shops have strong quality control systems in place.
Quality control is a system that is set in place to help maintain standards in manufactured products. A sample has to go through testing to make sure that it fits the right specifications. This helps ensure that each client or customer is getting the same level of quality from the products. In order to fully understand the importance of quality control in fabrication shops, you first have to understand why quality control in general is important and how it helps ensure safety as well as quality.
Why Is Quality Control Important
Quality control is important for a number of reasons. It helps ensure that there is a(n):
- Understanding – When there is a quality control contract both the manufacturer and the client have an understanding of what the product is that is being fabricated. It also ensures that each party understands what is expected of that product.
- Standard – When there is an understanding of what is expected there is also a standard that applies to the products. This means that the client will get exactly what they need to the specifications that they requested.
- Consistent Product – Not only will the client get what they requested, but they will get that product consistently. A consistently standard product is important for many different industries.
- Cost – Defective products can be extremely costly as they require frequent replacement and may even damage other parts and systems in the operations.
- Time – Defective products can easily create project or production delays as problems arise and must be resolved.
- Reputation – In the professional world one of the most important assets a company has is its reputation. If it gets a reputation for having defective products consumers and other companies will lose confidence in it and take their business elsewhere.
How Quality Control Ensures Safety and Quality
Because some products can be dangerous if they are off by just a little bit, quality control not only ensure quality but also safety. Quality is ensured because of the standard and the consistent product that is made through the quality checks. Safety is ensured because each product is tested for safety during the quality control checks.
For example, if a pipe is fabricated incorrectly, there is a chance that it will leak. Depending on the materials it is transporting, that can be very hazardous. Quality checks ensure that the pipe is safe to use at the given temperatures and for the given substances. Polaris ensures that all the parts and equipment we fabricate are completely safe and reliable.
Polaris Ensures Top Quality Fabrication
Polaris offers an array of fabrication services including:
- Pipe Fabrication
- Modular Skid Units
- Pressure Vessels
- Blast Resistance Buildings
- Structural Steel
We are able to ensure that our products meet key quality control checks because our facility is recognized by the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors. This means that not only do we make a safe product, but we do so in a safe environment. Our fabrication facility is also ASME coded and holds R, S and U stamps.
Polaris also has an array of important resources available that allow us to fully meet our clients’ needs. This includes are state-of-the-art equipment and technology as well as our 47,000 square feet of shop space. We also have an additional 7 acres fenced in area for lay down projects. We also have a full-time Certified Welding Inspector (CWI) Quality Control on site.
Quality control is important for many reasons. It ensures that the manufacturer and client have the same idea of what is being made. It helps make sure that the product fits the predetermined specifications. The specifications in turn ensure that the product is safe to use and of a high quality. All-in-all quality control helps the client get the best quality product from the fabricator. At Polaris, we want to make sure that all of their clients get exactly what they want and need and as such we place a strong emphasis on quality control.